Osteoporosis - causes and symptoms
Osteoporosis is a metabolic disease in which the density and strength of bone tissue decreases, the risk of fractures increases, which can lead to serious consequences and even disability. Risk factors for osteoporosis are:
- age over 50;
- menopause ;
- an eating disorder;
- lack of calcium and vitamin D;
- taking certain medications;
- low level of activity;
- smoking and alcohol abuse;
- the presence of chronic diseases of the endocrine system and other organs.
In the initial stage, the disease has no obvious symptoms, so if there are several risk factors, it is worth being examined by a doctor. With the development of the disease, the risk of bone fractures located in different parts of the body increases, including compression fractures of the vertebrae, fractures of the hip, ribs with minimal trauma. And in some cases, fractures can appear without any obvious external reasons. Symptoms of the disease may include curvature of the spine, decreased height, pain in the back or thoracic spine.
Accurate diagnosis is one of the first steps on the way to recovery, so it is very important to timely identify the disease and its causes. To diagnose osteoporosis, Israeli clinics use the following methods and studies:
- blood tests for osteocalcin, inorganic phosphorus, calcium, checking the level of certain hormones;
- radiography, allows to detect bone loss;
- densitometry, which determines bone density, which allows to draw conclusions about the severity of the disease;
- CT scan to identify existing fractures.
The cost of diagnostics depends on the number and type of examinations required to make an accurate diagnosis.
Treatment of osteoporosis in Israel
Modern medicine is able to slow down the development of the disease, strengthen bone tissue and cope with the consequences of existing fractures.
For treatment, therapeutic and surgical methods are used. Medical treatment of osteoporosis in Israeli clinics is carried out with the use of the most modern, effective and safe drugs that help strengthen bone tissue, replenishment of vitamins and minerals, and also use pain relievers and hormonal drugs to improve metabolism. The price of medicines in Israel is the most optimal.
Patients with osteoporosis can undergo physiotherapy procedures that have a positive effect on the condition of the muscles, thereby reducing the risk of fractures.
Surgical treatment minimizes the effects of osteoporosis. In Israeli clinics, such operations are performed as:
- vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty, thanks to which the restoration of the vertebrae is performed;
- decompression and stabilization surgery, which stabilizes the spine, reduces pain;
- endoprosthetics - this operation is necessary in case of destruction of joints.
The cost of treatment in general depends on the patient's condition, the severity of the disease, so it is extremely difficult to name the price before the start of the examination and treatment. The preliminary cost can be calculated in consultation with a specialist. In any case, prices for medical services in Israel are much lower than for similar services in Germany, France, the United States, and the quality and effectiveness of treatment are the highest.